weirdness with compile-op and retry restart

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 13:50:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
> dear devs,
>
> i have a system with a file that has a compilation error. i try to load it:
>
> (asdf:load-system :hu.dwim.web-server.application.test)
>
> it leads to an error with the following restart (notice its unusual
> wording, and that it's about the entire system, not just that one
> source file):
>
>  6: RETRY Retry completing compilation for #<HU.DWIM.TEST-SYSTEM
> "hu.dwim.web-server.application.test">.
>
> the rest FTR:
>
>  5: ACCEPT Continue, treating completing compilation for
> #<HU.DWIM.TEST-SYSTEM "hu.dwim.web-server.application.test"> as having
> been successful.
>
>  4: RETRY Retry ASDF operation.
>
>  3: CLEAR-CONFIGURATION-AND-RETRY Retry ASDF operation after resetting
> the configuration.
>
> if i touch the file and select the restart, then cl:compile-file
> doesn't get called and no compilation seems to happen. there used to
> be a restart to recompile the single source file that has failed.
>
> i'm on ASDF 3.2.1 and the very latest SBCL (i'm testing it for the
> current freeze)
>
> note: these systems have some customizations from hu.dwim.asdf, but
> not much changed there recently.
>
> is this something obvious that i'm failing to see, or should i dig
> deeper? what else would help?
>
> it's not a show-stopper for me, so feel free to ignore this. i'm
> writing this up more as offering help than asking for help.
>
> thanks for your time,

Would you perchance be using deferred-warnings?
If an unresolved deferred warning is detected at system check time,
that could be the expected (though admittedly poorly worded) symptom.

I have ideas on how deferred warnings and testing could be improved,
by producing "all good" reports (or "something bad" report),
but work on this feature has stopped long ago,
considering the backlash when I tried to enable it by default.
It would be a good idea to regularly try cl-test-grid with deferred
warnings enabled,
but at this point, I'm not going to pour much more work into ASDF
unless I find funding of some sort.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"