source-registry configuration

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 04:06:52 UTC 2017

Probably your .asd or .lisp files themselves are bad.

If you want help, please provide a github repository or tarball with
reproducible errors.
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Greg Bennett <gwbennett at sentex.ca> wrote:
> In ./config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d I once created the file
> gb-lisp.conf
> containing the single line
> (:tree "/home/gwbennett/asdf-tests")  <- no trailing /
> instead of (:tree "/home/gwbennett/asdf-tests/")    <- trailing /
This is not the central-registry (which you should NOT be using, anyway),
and you do not need a trailing / when specifying a :tree as a string.

> In the asdf-tests directory there is a file gb-a.asd and associated lisp
> files

What does this file contain?

> When I try
> (asdf:load-system "gb-a")
> I get (under ccl64 Version 1.11-r16812M)
>> Error: Is a directory : #P"/home/gwbennett/asdf-tests"
>> While executing: CCL::MAKE-FILE-STREAM, in process listener(1).

You fail to provide enough of a backtrace to tell what's happening.

> Under sbcl 1.3.18 I get an analogous message, always pointing to the same
> pathname.

This suggests some pretty obvious bug in your code.

> If I remove the .conf file completely, restart either lisp, retry the
> load-system, the error persists.

Doesn't help.

First, stop having two things to debug at once.
Please make sure your configuration works with some known-working
system (say alexandria).
Only after you debugged your configuration should I try to debug your code.

> Some how I seem to have managed to get the incorrect specification
> squirreled away in asdf's memory
> in a way which survives not just restarting either lisp, but restarting
> linux too.
>
> What in the world have I managed to do ? More usefully, how do I undo it ?

What are the next winning lottery numbers?

Insufficient information.

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your
trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. — Theodore Roosevelt