Another follow-up from yesterday's doc reviews

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 22:01:52 UTC 2016

.asd files are Lisp code, but this Lisp code must be loaded in the
correct context. Just like a random Lisp file won't even load if its
packages haven't been defined, or the readtable is wrong, etc., a
random .asd file won't run if it's not loaded in the correct context.

This is NOT new: ASDF 1 (and ASDF 2 after it) even used to create a
new package around the loading of each and every .asd file -- and
delete it afterwards! And there wasn't even an exported function that
users could call to achieve the same effect, until 2.011.3 (Dec 2010).

Now if you use swank-asdf, I made sure that it calls load-asd when you
use C-c C-k on a .asd file. I also implemented other goodies, so that
compiling a file would be done with perform compile-op, but the slime
maintainers disabled them by default. Sigh.

I’d like to confess, Papa, at that moment I discovered
that I really like killing. — Ernesto "Che" Guevara