Another follow-up from yesterday's doc reviews

Eric Timmons etimmons at mit.edu
Thu Sep 22 21:19:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> Actually now LOAD-ASD controls syntax, sets the readtable, controls the pretty-printer, sets up a cache, and a handler. And who knows what it will do tomorrow?

Oooph, didn't realize that was in there as well. At least those
effects aren't advertised in the manual (I think)?

> For the record, I'm not a fan. I would prefer that asd files were normal lisp. But they aren't, so I don't think we should lie about it, and I don't want to field alleged bug reports that arise because someone thought they were, when they are not.

Honestly, I'd go the other way and say I wish ASD files were not
LOAD'able. It'd make it easier to analyze a system without the
possibility of incurring side effects due to whatever code the
developer decided to put in there (this has made my life annoying a
couple of times). But that's probably not worth thinking about until
ASDF 4 rolls around.

>  We could make this a continuable error as a concession to people who know that they want to evaluate these forms outside LOAD-ASD, but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

That's probably a good compromise.

-Eric