[rfc][merge request]

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Mon Sep 12 15:56:39 UTC 2016

On 9/12/16 Sep 12 -8:40 AM, Dave Cooper wrote:

> I'd just like to give a description of some of our use-cases which might
> not be totally reflected in standard regression tests (maybe they should
> be somehow).

Yes, they should!

> What I know is that we depend heavily on immutable-systems behavior in
> production (e.g. for making pre-built Gendl distributions which won't
> try to re-compile and re-load Gendl and its dependencies on top of an
> image which already has them built-in, when quickloading other systems
> which have :depends-on :gendl).

I believe we could test this by building an image, loading it, and
trying to load a pre-loaded system that is marked as immutable.

We'd have to have the loaded system execute some code that would detect
(incorrect) updates to the immutable system, but that should not be
impossible.

> We also depend (daily) on the monolithic-compile-bundle operations for
> making builds which don't end up including asdf themselves (but our
> builds do include uiop).

I'm less certain about how to test this.  What is the behavior we should
be testing here?

thanks,