clisp support [Re: Pushed ASDF 3.1.7.8: fixes for CLISP, etc.]

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Thu Sep 1 23:15:04 UTC 2016

> * Robert Goldman <ectbyqzna at fvsg.arg> [2016-09-01 12:34:11 -0500]:
>
> Even worse, AFAICT clisp does not make its version number available to
> the lisp context.

CLISP, like all the other implementations striving for ANSI CL
compliance, exports `lisp-implementation-version'
(http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/f_lisp_i.htm).

However, testing version numbers is not the best way to achieve
cross-release compatibility; it is much better to test for specific
behavior.

> There's a SYSTEM::VERSION, but:
>
> [2]> (system::version)
> (20080430)

This is an internal function, the version of the byte code.

> I'm not sure what to do about this, since clisp seems to have lost the
> ability to make releases.

We had a GSoC project to make a release; alas, the student did not
complete the project.
We still hope that the release will happen this year.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1404
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://ffii.org http://honestreporting.com