ASDF3: How to globally disable output translations on Windows

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:13:37 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 3:59 PM, 9nauuk <9nauuk at hmamail.com> wrote:
> As a side note, on Windows, if (get-folder-path :local-appdata) is ever
> nil, and XDG_DATA_HOME is not defined, (xdg-data-home "config/") in
> XDG-CONFIG-HOME will explode in you face.

Wait, shouldn't local-appdata *always* be defined by Windows?

>> the filesystem. I believe "XDG" stands for "Easter Egg Hunt" in some
>> language....
>
> Quite fitting.  What happens to the good, old, dot-files (such as .emacs,
> .gnus, .cshrc, ...etc.)?   Why this convoluted way?

I was recently bitten by Emacs and Clojure not agreeing on where the
$HOME for placing those files would be (Emacs deciding to put it under
.../Roaming/... so it would be shared between machines or some such).

Plus, under Windows, it isn't so nice multiplying Unix-style config
files in the HOME directory (wherever it be).

> In both transitions from ASDF to ASDF2 and from ASDF2 to ASDF3, I had
> to spend time to make object files stay where I want them to stay.

Apologies about that. We try to pander to the common case first while
enabling people like you to customize, but I admit we don't test
customizations as often, especially not on Windows.

> Loooooooong Live ASDF3!

May it die in peace and soon leave place to ASDF4. (No, I don't know
that anyone is working on an ASDF4.)

A man is usually more careful of his money than he is of his principles.
                — Edgar Watson Howe