ASDF3: How to globally disable output translations on Windows

9nauuk 9nauuk at hmamail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:59:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'd like to thank Robert Goldman, Faré, and 73budden for replying to
my message.  Robert brought my attention to XDG-CONFIG-HOME in
uiop.lisp.  After taking a look at it and XDG-CONFIG-DIRS, I realized
the following 3 directories (I don't think they would ever evaluate to
NIL and (NIL NIL) on a Micros*t Windows machine):
  (get-folder-path :local-appdata)
  (mapcar 'get-folder-path '(:appdata :common-appdata))
would always take precedence over "config/", which means ASDF3 would
never see $HOME/config/common-lisp/asdf-output-translations.conf.d/.
The source code of XDG-CONFIG-DIRS also points out an easy way to
globally disable output translations on Windows: Define an environment
variable, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, that points to whatever config directory
you use.

As a side note, on Windows, if (get-folder-path :local-appdata) is ever
nil, and XDG_DATA_HOME is not defined, (xdg-data-home "config/") in
XDG-CONFIG-HOME will explode in you face.

> the filesystem. I believe "XDG" stands for "Easter Egg Hunt" in some
> language....

Quite fitting.  What happens to the good, old, dot-files (such as .emacs,
.gnus, .cshrc, ...etc.)?   Why this convoluted way?

In both transitions from ASDF to ASDF2 and from ASDF2 to ASDF3, I had
to spend time to make object files stay where I want them to stay.

Loooooooong Live ASDF3!

Best wishes,

-9nauuk