Wildcard modules support

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 22:45:43 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 9:34 AM, rcn <rcn at lateralt.net> wrote:
> But loading all the required files from an "all.lisp" file makes asdf
> unaware of the existence of those files, doesn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean. ASDF can follow the dependencies of
all.lisp and become aware of whichever files are used.

> I can use that as a
> workaround but it has several disadvantages: The relationships between
> those files and the rest of the system will be lost, and any changes
> with regards to compilation/loading configuration (bundling, loading
> from pre-compiled files) will have to be done manually in all.lisp,
> hidden from the project .asd file.

I'm not at all sure what you mean.

I use all.lisp a lot in lisp-interface-library, and I am not aware of
missing out on any feature.

> Given that a workaround is necessary for this, using a reader macro in
> the system definition to unfold a list of :file components from a glob
> pattern seems like a better solution, but it's a shame that such a basic
> feature isn't supported out of the box.

You can use :defsystem-depends-on to load asdf extensions then use them.

> In my opinion, if you really want to push asdf as the standard system
> definition for Common Lisp, these kind of things (what the users need,
> after all) should be given more attention. It's unusual for a
> programming ecosytem to have a powerful system definition tool and
> still having to rely on Makefiles and roll-your-own hacks for some
> things.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think asdf is a great tool and I thank you all for
> the effort you put on it.

I don't actively maintain asdf anymore, but Robert does, and I'm sure
he is accepting patches.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent — Eleanor Roosevelt
But you're only fooling yourself if you can't recognize your superiors — #f