MAKE function documentation -- example of use?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 00:22:22 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> The make function description in the documentation is not described
> well.  It seems to imply that there is a default operation for each
> system that the system developer can specify somehow, without saying
> how.  I see that there's a FIXME suggesting that we need to document the
> BUILD-OPERATION option for DEFSYSTEM.
>
> It would be nice to have an example that shows how MAKE is intended to
> be used.  Not a super-detailed example, just a quickie to show that this
> is not a feature in search of a use....
>
> Anyone used this?

The idea is that some systems (primary or particularly secondary
systems) can have a default operation specified by :build-operation
that isn't load-op.

Thus you can declare make targets for creating executables, printing
documentation, etc.

Admittedly, you could do the same with fake secondary systems that
have an :in-order-to ((load-op (,build-operation ,real-target))). But
I figured it would be nicer to have a more direct solution.

[...] there is what I call the "roundtrip fallacy": it is a mistake to use,
as journalists and some economists do, statistics without logic but the reverse
does not hold:  It is not a mistake to use logic without statistics.
        — Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled by Randomness, 2004.