Intended behavior of *COMPILE-FILE-WARNINGS-BEHAVIOUR*

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Fri Jan 15 17:47:27 UTC 2016

[... this message also bounced yesterday...]

On 1/14/16 Jan 14 -1:20 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
> What is the intended behavior when this is bound to :IGNORE?
>
> I believe that if warnings occur, they should be quashed and
> COMPILE-FILE should still return T, although otherwise it would not.
>
> I'm finding a case where :IGNORE is not enough to make the compile-file
> succeed, but I'm grappling with trying to find a minimal test case.  So
> I was wondering if I was interpreting this variable correctly.
>
> thank you

The relevant bit of the manual describes acceptable values for this
variable and COMPILE-FILE-FAILURE-BEHAVIOUR, but does not explain their
semantics:

ASDF checks for warnings and errors when a file is compiled.  The
variables *COMPILE-FILE-WARNINGS-BEHAVIOUR* and
*COMPILE-FILE-FAILURE-BEHAVIOUR* control the handling of any such
events.  The valid values for these variables are ':error', ':warn', and
':ignore'.