I believe that load-system is described incorrectly in the manual

73budden . budden73 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:59:42 UTC 2016

Quote from the manual:
"But for code that you are actively developing, debugging, or
otherwise modifying, you should use load-system, so ASDF will pick on
your modifications and transitively re-build the modified files and
everything that depends on them. "

What does "everything that depends on them" mean?

I have
sys1.asd:
(asdf:defsystem :sys1 :serial t :components ((:file "sys1-file1")))
; EOF

and
sys2.asd
(asdf:defsystem :sys2 :serial t :depends-on (:sys1) :components
((:file "sys2-file2")))
; EOF

I do (asdf:load-system :sys2), then I touch sys1-file1.lisp, then I do
(asdf:load-system :sys1)

:sys2 does not get recompiled.

This is what I always knew and expected to see, but, according to
manual, it should have been recompiled, as :sys2 depends on :sys1,
and, hence, from the modified sys1-file1.lisp.

Now I don't know is this a "misbug" in asdf or a defeciency in the
manual. If this is a misbug, another question arises: is there a
"canonical" way to reload all systems that are currently loaded into
the image and sources of which have changed since last load?