Issues with new testing scripts

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 08:05:54 UTC 2016

>> One thing I *like* about submodules, is that they are optional. So if
>> I already have regular checkouts of libraries (and I do), I can use
>> them instead of those of make ext.
>
> IMO it would be better to have fixed versions of the dependencies which
> are used by each and every developer and packager.
>
> This is in my experience the basis of a solid and reliable build.

Yes, BUT, subtree makes it harder to distribute asdf independently
from other libraries, which is very, very, very bad. People who use
asdf for any serious purpose whatsoever already have their own library
layout, packaging and versioning.

The last thing they want is to deal with headaches because asdf has
another set of copies of some of the libraries that
non-deterministically may or may not appear first when recursively
scanning a tree. OK, since 3.1.5, the .cl-source-registry.cache should
make that not a problem anymore. Still a potential source of confusion
and space waste.

One solution would be to have a "raw" repository for asdf alone, and a
separate repository asdf-dev that uses git subtree to provide asdf and
all its dependencies together.

submodules so far provided a compromise whereby the asdf git
repository could be used either with or without submodules. Awkward
either way, but works.

Eric Schmidt rule of management: always assume that
the other person is as intelligent as you are.