Issues with new testing scripts

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Sat Jan 2 07:20:32 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-01 18:12 CET, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Kambiz Darabi <darabi at m-creations.com> wrote:
>> I pushed a branch to my repo which contains the necessary changes:
>>
>> https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/darabi/asdf/tree/ext-subtree
>>
>> The specification of what to get where and which version is in
>> ext/dependencies.lisp-expr
>>
>> and
>>
>> git checkout ext-subtree
>> make ext
>>
>> does the job.
>>
> Wait, if you still need to make ext, what is the advantage of subtree
> vs submodules?

You don't need to 'make ext' as someone who just checks out the repo.

A developer performs 'make ext' once in a while to update to current
versions of the dependencies, run the tests and then push the new
version of the dependencies. Or to reset a buggy HEAD of one of the
dependencies to a known working version.

> One thing I *like* about submodules, is that they are optional. So if
> I already have regular checkouts of libraries (and I do), I can use
> them instead of those of make ext.

IMO it would be better to have fixed versions of the dependencies which
are used by each and every developer and packager.

This is in my experience the basis of a solid and reliable build.

Kambiz