3.1.7 status

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Mon Feb 29 20:29:12 UTC 2016

On 2/29/16 Feb 29 -1:32 PM, Jason Miller wrote:
> On 11:46 Mon 29 Feb     , Robert Goldman wrote:
>> the 3.1.7 release candidate now passes all tests on Mac and Linux, for
>> me at least.
>>
>> UIOP does not seem able to detect cygwin -- it has code that looks like
>> uiop:os-unix-p should return t when cygwin is running, but that code
>> seems not to work. It looks for a :CYGWIN feature which is not present,
>> at least not under SBCL.  I can see that uname -o returns "Cygwin", but
>> can't run that from inside SBCL -- catch 22.
>
> I believe that code only detects if the lisp host was linked with
> cygwin, which makes sense because then the lisp host will think that it
> is running on a posix system.  If the lisp host is linked as a native
> windows executable, then using windows style pathnames is correct

I agree that it's *correct* -- it's just that windows-style pathnames is
not what you get if you invoke the lisp from a bash script in Cygwin.
The bash script uses standard facilities to find itself, so it grabs up
cygwin pathnames.

To detect cygwin, I probably simply must set a CYGWIN environment
variable from the bash script (where it's easy to detect) and use that
to figure out when CYGWIN pathnames might be around.

Then I need to figure out exactly how the cygwin pathnames are creeping
into the lisp, and either nip them in the bud or translate them.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to do the translation.  To do it, I must
invoke CYGPATH from inside a lisp running on Windows, and there I'm lost.