A modest proposition: DEFSYSTEM-DEPENDS-ON should die [was Re: What's the right way to extend ASDF with new symbols?]

73budden . budden73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 07:31:28 UTC 2016

Hi!

>In the old days, we would just put
>(asdf:load-system "extension")
That's good. This is declarative enough to be processed by tools like
quicklisp.

What goes to side effects, they are just inevitable if we want

i) asdf to be extensible
ii) some dependency language is used to declarate which
system-extension relationships

The only way to avoid side effects at asd file processing time is to
load all extensions together with asdf, but this is what we want to
avoid when we talk about build system, isnt' it?