Removing content from README.md

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 03:32:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> As someone who doesn't use the gitlab interface, it was only now that I
> realized that there was a README.md.
>
> I just looked over that README, and realized that it was not maintained.
> I quickly concluded that I do not have the resources to maintain both
> this file and the HTML file at https://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/,
> and the latter is what I have been updating with new releases.  So the
> former must go.
>
> I apologize for this draconian step.
>
> Of course nothing has been lost, it is all in the git history.

What was not maintained about it? That it still had an entry for
debian/ ? That it didn't have entries for your scripts?

The README.md had a different purpose than the index.html. While the
index.html was an introduction for users who just use ASDF, the
README.md was an introduction for hackers who checked out the asdf git
repo, giving a detailed map of what files or directories contain what
in that repo. It's a description that I miss in most source
repositories.

> I am willing to entertain the argument that the index.html be deprecated
> instead of the Markdown page.  However, I will not entertain requests
> for both.  One will have to be merely a pointer to the other.

I'm still not sure what was wrong with the README file. What obsolete
information did it have or fail to have, that you'd document in
index.html instead?

Those who confuse goods and rights will end up having neither.