extending uiop/run-program

Elias Pipping pipping.elias at icloud.com
Mon Aug 1 22:06:17 UTC 2016

Dear Robert,

> On 01 Aug 2016, at 04:25, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
>
> If you were to move your work on uiop:run-program to a long-lived topic
> branch, I could test it on a wide variety of implementations on Mac and
> Linux.

Sure, that sounds good. I’ve requested an account on

  https://gitlab.common-lisp.net

for this purpose.

> Currently, my Windows-testing VM is out of commission, so I need to fix
> it, but at that point I could probably test there, as well.

Great!

> I'd like to see some test cases for these additional facilities, as well.

I’m a fan of tests. I typically end up writing too many rather than too few.
Currently, UIOP does not have any dedicated tests, yes? It’s only indirectly
tested through the ASDF test suite as far as I can see.

And I suppose even the test suite should not have any external
dependencies so that everything needs to be done manually, right?

> If we are going to work on RUN-PROGRAM, it occurs to me that it might be
> a good idea to wrap the PROCESS-INFO plist in a trivial DEFSTRCUCT that
> would support type-checking like
>
> (typep x 'process-info)

Sounds good. That’s what external-program does, too (at least on some
platforms).

Elias