how to "register it in front of the former"

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Thu Apr 14 14:30:49 UTC 2016

On 4/14/16 Apr 14 -3:26 AM, Jim Newton wrote:
> Can someone help me with an asdf problem I don’t understand.
>
> When I load quicklisp I get the warning (below) apparently from ASDF.
> Advise (b) says that I might: install a newer ASDF and register it in
> front of the former in
>    your configuration,
>
> Can someone explain to me how I can do that?
>
> I’m working on a machine where I don’t have administrator rights so I
> can’t change anything in /usr etc.
> I’ve installed and compiled sbcl locally, as well as downloaded a local
> copy of the newest asdf
> under my home directory.

You can use your .sbclrc to ensure that your local copy shadows the main
copy.

One thing to do would be to

1. (REQUIRE :ASDF)
2. Push the location of the local copy onto ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY*
3. (ASDF:LOAD-SYSTEM "ASDF")

As far as integration with Quicklisp is concerned, I have no idea, since
I don't use QL.  You should ask about that on a QL discussion place.

And what it says: if you have a cl-asdf package installed from something
like debian, get rid of it.

Fare disagrees with me, but I think this package is just a nuisance,
since every implementation I know of ships with ASDF bundled.

cheers,