how to "register it in front of the former"

Jim Newton jnewton at lrde.epita.fr
Thu Apr 14 08:26:44 UTC 2016

Can someone help me with an asdf problem I don’t understand.

When I load quicklisp I get the warning (below) apparently from ASDF.
Advise (b) says that I might: install a newer ASDF and register it in front of the former in
   your configuration,

Can someone explain to me how I can do that?

I’m working on a machine where I don’t have administrator rights so I can’t change anything in /usr etc.
I’ve installed and compiled sbcl locally, as well as downloaded a local copy of the newest asdf
under my home directory.

Thanks.
Jim

WARNING:
   You are using ASDF version 3.1.3 (probably from (require "asdf") or loaded
   by quicklisp) and have an older version of ASDF 3.0.2 registered at
   #P"/usr/local/share/common-lisp/source/asdf/asdf.asd". Having an ASDF
   installed and registered is the normal way of configuring ASDF to upgrade
   itself, and having an old version registered is a configuration error. ASDF
   will ignore this configured system rather than downgrade itself. In the
   future, you may want to either: (a) upgrade this configured ASDF to a newer
   version, (b) install a newer ASDF and register it in front of the former in
   your configuration, or (c) uninstall or unregister this and any other old
   version of ASDF from your configuration. Note that the older ASDF might be
   registered implicitly through configuration inherited from your system
   installation, in which case you might have to specify
   :ignore-inherited-configuration in your in your
   ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf or other source-registry
   configuration file, environment variable or lisp parameter. Indeed, a likely
   offender is an obsolete version of the cl-asdf debian or ubuntu package,
   that you might want to upgrade (if a recent enough version is available) or
   else remove altogether (since most implementations ship with a recent asdf);
   if you lack the system administration rights to upgrade or remove this
   package, then you might indeed want to either install and register a more
   recent version, or use :ignore-inherited-configuration to avoid registering
   the old one. Please consult ASDF documentation and/or experts.