maintaining non-Lisp systems with ASDF

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Mon Sep 21 23:24:24 UTC 2015

On 9/21/15 Sep 21 -6:15 PM, Robert Dodier wrote:
> Thanks a lot to everybody for the advice. I think I've made some
> progress. I've attached a patch showing the initial changes I've
> made, and with this much I can load a trivial system into Maxima.
>
> I'm working with asdf.lisp 2.26 which is packaged with Quicklisp,
> since the larger goal is to use Quicklisp to download and install
> Maxima packages.
>
> Incidentally I'm working with Clisp 2.49.
>
> I've run into some strangeness, maybe someone can explain
> what's going on.
>
> (1) (asdf:load-system :foo) seems to always cause files to
> be compiled. That's kind of puzzling.

I don't know if this is why, but I see that there are no dependencies in
your system.  Was that intentional? Did you expect DEFSYSTEM to default
to :SERIAL T.

If that causes this problem, though, that would be an ASDF bug.

> (2) The first time asdf.lisp is loaded, Quicklisp writes asdf.fas
> into its own cache. The second time, I get an error about ASDF:OOS.
> Any ideas? Here's the error:

This isn't enough for me to help, since it looks like "maxima" is some
kind of script that does something.  I don't know what. Also, I don't
know what's in your .clisprc.lisp...

At the bare minimum, we'd need to see a backtrace from the debugger.

cheers,