maintaining non-Lisp systems with ASDF

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 23:15:22 UTC 2015

Thanks a lot to everybody for the advice. I think I've made some
progress. I've attached a patch showing the initial changes I've
made, and with this much I can load a trivial system into Maxima.

I'm working with asdf.lisp 2.26 which is packaged with Quicklisp,
since the larger goal is to use Quicklisp to download and install
Maxima packages.

Incidentally I'm working with Clisp 2.49.

I've run into some strangeness, maybe someone can explain
what's going on.

(1) (asdf:load-system :foo) seems to always cause files to
be compiled. That's kind of puzzling.

(2) The first time asdf.lisp is loaded, Quicklisp writes asdf.fas
into its own cache. The second time, I get an error about ASDF:OOS.
Any ideas? Here's the error:

$ maxima
HELLO FROM QUICKLISP/ASDF.LISP !!

*** - EVAL: undefined function ASDF:OOS
The following restarts are available:
USE-VALUE      :R1      Input a value to be used instead of
(FDEFINITION 'ASDF:OOS).
RETRY          :R2      Retry
STORE-VALUE    :R3      Input a new value for (FDEFINITION 'ASDF:OOS).
SKIP           :R4      skip (LET # #)
RETRY          :R5      retry (LET # #)
STOP           :R6      stop loading file /home/robert/quicklisp/setup.lisp
SKIP           :R7      skip (LET # #)
RETRY          :R8      retry (LET # #)
STOP           :R9      stop loading file /home/robert/.clisprc.lisp
Break 1 QL-SETUP[4]>

Thanks again,

Robert

PS. Here's the example foo.asd I've been working with.

(defsystem foo
  :name "foo"
  :version "2015.09.21"
  :maintainer "Robert Dodier"
  :author "Robert Dodier"
  :licence "GPL"
  :description "Foo, Bar, and Baz"
  :long-description "Apply Foo's algorithm to Bar, yielding Baz"

  :components
    ((:maxima-source-file "foo1")
     (:maxima-source-file "foo2")))