Standalone application delivery

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 21:43:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>> It's possible, and some people have done it for SBCL at Google using
>> bazel.io, though they never spent the time making it open source. I
>> could extract bits from it and reproduce the same thing with ASDF, but
>> I'd rather someone else do it, though I can explain what I see in
>> those files.
>
> does it happen
>  a) from a final linking phase linking sbcl's .o files
>  b) or using a vanilla sbcl exe (or executable core) and hacking the
> grovelled .o or .so files into it?

a libsbcl.a is produced, that will be linked against to produce a core,
that will itself be used to dump the final image and create a
standalone executable
(or somehow combined with an image produced by another core?
I don't think so, but I haven't read that part of the code.)

>> Or then again, the CL community could adopt bazel (not very likely).
>
> from a strictly engineering perspective, do you think using bazel to
> build cl code would be better than using ASDF? yes/no/hard-to-judge?

If you have lots of memory and CPUs, and a Java heart with a Python skin
don't work as a repellant on you, bazel is actually a pretty nice way to build
software in a massive parallel way (though the distributed backend isn't
open source (yet?), only the parallel backend on a single box, AFAIK).
But it's very different from ASDF, and doesn't scale down to smaller machines
(unless you have that distributed backend with a farm of smaller machines).
So it's not going to displace ASDF any time soon.

Stelian had ideas about making a more blaze-like build system for CL;
some ideas of my old XCVB could be resurrected, and I created a TODO
for a hypothetical ASDF 4 that would be mostly backward compatible with ASDF 3,
yet provide the benefits of a modern build system.
However, I'm not convinced there's a large enough public to justify this work,
unless you're going to make a general purpose rival to bazel.

> to me it seems that it's an important ability to customize the build
> system from the .asd (because it's the same language), and that would
> be lost with bazel, no?

Bazel has this Skylark extension language (Python subset) that I'm working on.
Not remotely as nice as CL.

On the other hand, CL is the wrong language to restrict side-effects,
as required for a truly deterministic build system.

Haskell Cabal, anyone?

Pascal is for building pyramids—imposing, breathtaking, static structures built
by armies pushing heavy blocks into place. Lisp is for building organisms…
        – Alan Perlis