monolithic-lib-op

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 05:22:24 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Daniel Kochmański <daniel at turtleware.eu> wrote:

> Faré writes:
>
>> Difficulties making monolithic-lib-op portable suggest that it (and
>> maybe also lib-op) should output an object file as if by ld -r rather
>> than a static library. Indeed, there is no *portable* way to combine
>> several .a files into a single one on a BSD system (including MacOS
>> X). Or should that be the case only on said systems?
>
> We have currently bug regarding combining static libraries[1], but doesn't
> BSD nor OSX support libtool? If yes, then we can just extract all
> objects from static archive and combine them again.
>
> [1] https://gitlab.com/embeddable-common-lisp/ecl/issues/177
>
>     In one of the comments @Whimse provides a working solution using
>     libtool.

Do you require libtool to be installed on BSD (including OSX)?
It certainly doesn't come standard, not even on Linux.
Also, I could never get libtool to work correctly, even on Linux,
despite having alleged cut-and-paste recipes and a man page.

I was thinking about MRI scripts, but they are also a GNUism not
supported on BSD.

Why do we need a .a rather than a .o, anyway?
For the proposed use case, a .o seems more reasonable.

Director is a misnomer. You're a hoper. You put all these people together and
you hope it all works out.  — Frank Oz, director of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"