monolithic-lib-op

Daniel Kochmański daniel at turtleware.eu
Tue Oct 6 05:18:40 UTC 2015

Faré writes:

> Difficulties making monolithic-lib-op portable suggest that it (and
> maybe also lib-op) should output an object file as if by ld -r rather
> than a static library. Indeed, there is no *portable* way to combine
> several .a files into a single one on a BSD system (including MacOS
> X). Or should that be the case only on said systems?

We have currently bug regarding combining static libraries[1], but doesn't
BSD nor OSX support libtool? If yes, then we can just extract all
objects from static archive and combine them again.

> In any case, that's ugly, and to make a distinction, we'd have to
> extend os.lisp to also distinguish bsd-style unix from gnu-style unix.
>
> —♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics• http://fare.tunes.org
> It is said that pragmatism trumps ideology in a crisis. What actually happens
> in a crisis, certainly in this one, is that the ruling party gets to
> rechristen its ideology as pragmatism. — Christopher Caldwell

[1] https://gitlab.com/embeddable-common-lisp/ecl/issues/177

    In one of the comments @Whimse provides a working solution using
    libtool.

--
Daniel Kochmański | Poznań, Poland
;; aka jackdaniel

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi