Suggestions for procedure going forward

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:10:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> On 11/18/15 Nov 18 -11:33 PM, Steven Núñez wrote:
>> With git you can, and usually do, have many branches, including personal ones. The pull request will be against a specific branch. I only read this message of the thread, so hope I'm answering the right question. Github has some good tutorials.
>
> Well the question isn't really about having many branches.  The question
> is what happens when you have stable and development branches, and you
> want to "jump" the stable branch to mark retiring an old stable version
> and starting a new one?  Doesn't that involve a nasty merge or rebase?
>
> I can do some research, but I was hoping someone knew the answer....

My bet is that they use versioned names for branch, and so never have to jump.

There is no branch called "stable", there is just the 3.1 branch, the
3.2 branch, etc.

"Exploitation is a word often used but rarely defined. In its most literal
meaning — I 'exploit' you if I in some way benefit from your existence —
it is the reason human society exists. We all benefit from one another's
existence. We all exploit each other." — D. Friedman, The Machinery of Freedom