make-pathname* and Allegro

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 20:46:23 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Kevin Layer <layer at franz.com> wrote:
> Faré wrote:
>
>>> Dear Kevin,
>>>
>>> That change was just a reindentation. If you keep going along the git
>>> blame ${VER}^ -- pathname.lisp history, you find that the commit that
>>> introduced this line is 96cecd29 (2.26.85, citing "More pathname
>>> madness for allegro"), but it only generalizes 21594070 (2.26.82,
>>> citing just testing concerns).
>
> Thanks for tracing it back further.
>
> My current theory is that it was done to regularize the device slot on
> Windows and non-Windows, where Allegro's default is different (nil on
> Windows and :unspecific on non-Windows).  Unfortunately, the reason
> for this difference is lost in time (oh, the 90's).

My first commit 2.26.82 was Unix-only, which is consistent with my
running the ASDF tests on Linux first. The 2.26.85 commit made it
Windows-too.

I ran the tests after gutting make-pathname* from any non-trivial
wrapping around make-pathname, and make t l=allegro still passes.

I gutted this function, with a complete explanation in the commit
message. Thanks!

Only presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right
to use the editorial "we."
                — Mark Twain