make-pathname* and Allegro

Kevin Layer layer at franz.com
Tue Nov 17 18:51:53 UTC 2015

Faré wrote:

>> Dear Kevin,
>>
>> That change was just a reindentation. If you keep going along the git
>> blame ${VER}^ -- pathname.lisp history, you find that the commit that
>> introduced this line is 96cecd29 (2.26.85, citing "More pathname
>> madness for allegro"), but it only generalizes 21594070 (2.26.82,
>> citing just testing concerns).

Thanks for tracing it back further.

My current theory is that it was done to regularize the device slot on
Windows and non-Windows, where Allegro's default is different (nil on
Windows and :unspecific on non-Windows).  Unfortunately, the reason
for this difference is lost in time (oh, the 90's).

If I find I have time, I may do tests you suggest.  Thanks.

Kevin