The dictatorship of versioning

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Jun 16 14:00:05 UTC 2015

I would welcome a restructuring of the version comparison protocol along
the lines that Didier suggests:  make sure all the components of the
protocol are properly handled by generic functions, and allow system
developers and maintainers to manage their own version comparison logic
should they so choose.

Now: a request for management purposes:  Didier, would you be so kind as
to describe the proposal (I think cut and paste out of your earlier
emails would do admirably) in a ticket on launchpad.net?

Right now we are juggling altogether too many simultaneous suggestions
for improvement that are candidates for 3.2.  This has nothing to do
with the many admirable suggestions, but rather has to do with issues
getting 3.1.5 tested and debugged on Windows.  Neither Faré nor I have
the facilities to do this testing, so testing is slow, as is repairing
bugs that arise.

I would like to be able to come back to improvements for 3.2 as soon as
the Windows problems can be eliminated and 3.1.5 finally released.

Thank you,
Robert