Release plan for asdf

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:52:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> On 6/8/15 Jun 8 -6:28 PM, Faré wrote:
>> As for upgrade tests, I have the following failures:
>> * cmucl won't upgrade at all; this is a known bug with its CLOS
>> implementation since the early ASDF 3 days. Disabling upgrade.
>
> Sounds good.  What's the bug, BTW?  Is it something we can FMAKUNBOUND
> our way around, or is it just hopeless?
>
> Thanks for rechecking this.

I traced that down to my own cmucl installation;
it was an ancient installation with an ancient ASDF,
so upgrading from the require'd one failed, which was stopping the
upgrade tests.
I tried with the latestest cmucl snapshot, but it's broken (from a few
days ago),
so I tried with the previous snapshot instead, from december, and all
tests passed,
including all upgrade tests (back to 3.0.1 only).
The breakage is in upgrading from ASDF 2.32 or earlier, due to
redefinition of the the superclasses of system.

So, everything's fine, after all (except the latest cmucl snapshot — I
sent mail to the maintainer about that).

I'm restoring the cmucl upgrade tests.

The reason truth is stranger than fiction is that fiction has to make sense.