Almost there

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 20:17:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
> no, i'm fine with the functinality of REGISTER-IMMUTABLE-SYSTEM.
>
> what i wasn't fine with is an exported global holding a hashtable, and
> at that time i hadn't noticed RIS because i was expecting a different
> name. REGISTER-IMMUTABLE-SYSTEM doesn't register any systems, it
> rather marks a system, that is already known by asdf, immutable. it's
> a different story that the implementation registers it in a hashtable
> as opposed to e.g. setting a flag on the system object.

Sorry, I don't remember why I did it with a hash-table rather than by
adding a boolean slot to the class SYSTEM. I believe the rationale was
that like with register-preloaded-system, you might want to the system
compilation product as a monolithic .fasl and register without even
having to a define with defsystem in the current image.

In any case, the current API is REGISTER-IMMUTABLE-SYSTEM and
SYSDEF-IMMUTABLE-SYSTEM-SEARCH.

> so, before i knew about RIS, i proposed an API that i still think
> would be better, namely SYSTEM-MUTABLE-P.
>
> if it's still feasible i suggest to replace REGISTER-IMMUTABLE-SYSTEM
> with (SETF SYSTEM-MUTABLE-P) and stop exporting *IMMUTABLE-SYSTEMS*.

I think it's too late to make changes for 3.1.5.

Indeed, it's probably a bad idea to export *IMMUTABLE-SYSTEMS*. Maybe
to late to fix in 3.1.5, but hopefully will be fixed in 3.2.

"Ask not what the government can do for you. Ask what the government is doing
to you." — David Friedman, "The Machinery of Freedom", p. 21