Editing component being compiled when compilation failed.

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Jul 8 14:17:01 UTC 2015

On 7/8/15 Jul 8 -6:33 AM, 73budden . wrote:
> Hi!
>
>   I still don't know what is the official way to edit component being
> compiled. I asked at comp.lang.lisp but had no reply.

I'm not sure I understand.  It looks like what you are building is an
extension to ASDF that hooks it into an editor (perhaps specifically the
lispworks IDE?).  Is that correct?

I have always found the component through ASDF error messages and then
opened it by hand.  It would probably be nice for whatever IDE one uses
(Lispworks, CCL, ACL, SLIME, etc.) to know enough about ASDF to automate
this process.

>  But I have developed my own solution. For this I had to redefine
> several asdf functions.
>  I bind special variables so that current component is known at the
> time of compilation.
>  Also I define asdf::e and asdf::ep symbol macros that access special variables.
>
>  When compilation fails, I have an EDIT-COMPONENT restart, which is
> not needed - it is just a help string.
>  Then user should eval asdf::e in the debugger to edit component source.
>  User should eval asdf::ep in the debugger to edit component's system source.
>
>   Code is here, it shoud work in asdf-3.1.4 under lispworks 6 or under
> SBCL+SLIME.
>
>  https://bitbucket.org/budden/budden-tools/src/866bcf15ad5c793868a0a31e602474189eeec91f/asdf-3.1.4-tools.lisp?at=default
>
> I'd like to receive any feedback.

That code is not very readable in its present form.  The content of the
file is obscured by lots of lines of dead code.  How about you clean it
up a bit, and comment it a little before soliciting feedback again?

Also, you might want to split this into modifications/extensions to ASDF
and code that interfaces to the Lispworks IDE.  For questions about the
latter, lispworks-hug is probably a more appropriate source of information.