Toward an ASDF 3.1.6 ?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 03:53:00 UTC 2015

> Should we see about making sure we have a working ASDF on ACL for 3.1.6?

Yes of course. If we were quick, we'd manage to release just before
ACL is finalized so they can ship with it. Not sure we're that quick.

> I'm wondering if we should back out the change to system pathnames for
> ticket 1485276.  Is that a bug fix, so ok to shove out in 3.1.6, or is
> it a new feature, which might better be held for 3.2?

It's between the two. It's also backward compatible with systems that
don't use :pathname for their defsystem. Now
1- this is the case of all 6 systems in Quicklisp that use
package-inferred-system
2- there is no imaginable reason why anyone would currently use
:pathname in a package-inferred-system, since it had so far no effect
whatsoever

NB: OK, technically, if you combine being a package-inferred-system
with having a traditional list of :components, then it did affect the
pathname of the components, but no one does that, and it's perverse
anyway because it leads to files having two different names — only
ASDF itself kind of puns file names this way, for the sake of
bootstrapping, and it doesn't use :pathname.

I'd keep that "fix" in 3.1.6, and keep disrecommending its use without
a :depends-on ((:version "asdf" "3.1.6")).

> I'll see how minimakefile behaves for me and get back to you...

Thanks a lot!

— Question authority!
— Yeah, says who?