ASDF configuration and cache

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:24:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:00 AM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> On 2015/4/29 10:03, Faré wrote:
>> Dear Mark,
>>
>> ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/ is being used because
>> you're compiling on Unix. If you were using Windows, it would be using
>> something else based on LOCALAPPDATA, not USERPROFILE.
>
> Hmmm.  Do you mean "compiling [ABCL] on Unix"?  That is not the case, as
> the ABCL being used has been compiled on the Windows host.  And the
> creation of the WAR artifact for production is also happening on the
> Windows host.
>
> While running on Windows, everything *is* being compiled "under" Cygwin.
>  Maybe that is the cause?

If you have :unix in your *features*, then ASDF decides that ABCL is
running on Unix. Is that not a correct criteria? Are you enabling
:unix because of cygwin?

Looking at the code, I realize that it was misinterpreting the XDG
standard in consulting ~/.config/ in addition to the XDG_CONFIG_HOME
(when defined) rather than instead of it as a fallback as undefined —
fixing this bug originally reported by Jason Miller was the initial
reason for this upheaval of configuration paths. This made that path
work under Windows when it wasn't actually meant to work. Ouch. On
Windows, I intended only the local-appdata and else appdata to be
consulted. Ouch. So fixing the code means we'll be
backward-incompatible, anyway. Ouch.

Well, we might as well do the Right Thing™ if we're going to break
compatibility anyway. What is the Right Thing?

If all values are relative, then cannibalism is a matter of taste.
        — Leo Strauss