[Asdf-devel] ASDF 3.1.4 released today

Faré fare at tunes.org
Sat Oct 11 02:20:47 UTC 2014

Dear Kambiz,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Kambiz Darabi <darabi at m-creations.com> wrote:
> thank you for packaging and uploading again. I didn't notice that you
> have already performed the build and uploaded to mentors until I came to
> the uploading step.

Oops, I didn't know you were on it. Thanks for trying.
Next time, I'll leave it all up to you!
Mind that the correct release script is in the minimakefile branch,
that I believe Robert is evaluating for merge into master.
Also mind that said release script is too dumb to handle patches,
and only works if your git tag 3.1.4 is the same as the HEAD of
the build branch (by default, release). You can use git tag -f 3.1.4
to make several attempts. But of course, now that the upstream
and debian maintainers are distinct, you can't do that anymore,
or only as a temporary local kluge. Two solutions:
* modify the release script to actually handle debian patches the hard way,
 whereby we fork a debian branch off of the release branch,
 and create files in debian/patches/ as necessary. Yuck.
* cheat better, so that the release script doesn't use the version 3.1.4
 as the base tag, but whatever is at the HEAD of the release branch;
 then you commit your debian changes to release (or debian)
 and commit --amend until you're happy.
When you're done, you (if you are a committer) or the maintainer can
merge your changes into master.

> If I understand correctly, my signing key and my email should be
> registered somewhere. I have created an account on mentors.debian.net
> and sent my pgp key to pgp.mit.edu and keyring.debian.org.

You need to upload it to mentors.debian.net. Its name must match exactly
what is used in the debian/changelog and debian/control files and also
whatever Emacs uses to sign when using debian changelog mode
(based on your /etc/passwd entry and/or other Emacs variables ?).
During the last few releases, I had the problem that Emacs would of late
sign my name using UTF-8 accents, and my key (until yesterday)
wasn't registered to my name with such accents. Beware.

> Then I tried to dput the package, which finishes successfully, but the
> package doesn't show up on 'my packages' (maybe because there is already
> your identical version?).

Yeah, mentors was confused by a combination of my and your files.
I deleted the package and re-uploaded it.

> Do you have a pointer to some step-by-step documentation for newbies?
> I have already read [1], [2], and [3] but find it a bit difficult to
> figure out all of the details.

In general, I use the build script to build the package, and before
or after uploading (depending on how up-to-date my installation is),
lintian will tell me all the things that have bitrotten since last time.
Then, I cry, follow the links, maybe connect to irc.oftc.net channel
#debian-mentors for help, and do lots of trials and errors, using
git commit --amend and git tag -f 3.1.4, until eventually
I get a trial without error.

> [1] https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
>
> [2] https://mentors.debian.net/sponsors
>
> [3] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq
>

> Maybe you could download and review my version, which corresponds to
>
> https://github.com/darabi/asdf/tree/release-kami

I recommend you don't bother with the scripts in master,
and instead use the tools in the  minimakefile branch, due to be merged RSN.

Violent revolutions, like the state, place the initiation of violence at the
center of their moral universe. The rebels believe it is morally justifiable
to initiate violence to accomplish their goals. Therefore, the victor in that
revolution is of little consequence because society will still be ruled by
those who grant moral sanction to the initiation of violence to impose their
will on others.

Violent revolution is akin to changing lanes on the highway, or even changing
to a different car. It may seem different for a bit, but you're still heading
in the same direction. You won't see real change toward a free society until
you get off the goddamn highway of violence and embrace the non-aggression
principle.  — Joseph Moutard