[Asdf-devel] ASDF test failure on MKCL linux

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 10:15:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> What happens here is that there is a function with undeclared local
> variables, but ASDF is not getting a warning from COMPILE-FILE, so it
> mistakenly believes the build is successful.
>
> I don't think I wrote this test properly, though.  In a message crossing
> with this one, Faré has limited its applicability, but I'm not sure I
> understand the change. Surely that system should not build successfully?

At least GCL doesn't issue a proper warning in case of undeclared free variable.
SBCL, CMUCL and presumably SCL (I believe erroneously) defer such warning
until the end of the compilation unit, which when you don't use ASDF's
deferred-warnings mechanism, gets caught by the (IMHO bogus)
with-compilation-unit
(now in a perform-plan method, previously in operate),
and thus issue a full warning that isn't checked, and the system thus builds
"successfully". I wanted to get rid of that W-C-U,
but that broke many systems in Quicklisp that had such bugs.

I updated the test (with untested expectations for XCL and SCL, that I
can't test anymore).

He who says he will die for a cause will probably lie for it and may kill
for it.  — John McCarthy