[Asdf-devel] converting asdf build & test to Lisp

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Sat May 31 07:28:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-20 05:02 CEST, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:

> A remaining problem is that now getting an ASDF development environment
> starts to be more difficult.  How are we to manage installing the
> dependencies if the ASDF development head is going to be *ahead* of the
> state of Quicklisp (and, I believe now, *incompatibly* ahead)?

Trying to set up a build environment for the minimakefile branch, I also
had to hunt the dependencies.

> It was already difficult for me using the bump script, but most of the
> makefile required only ASDF and a standard Linux or Mac +
> MacPorts|Homebrew install. I'm just worried about circular dependencies
> if we need to get a bunch of CL libraries to make this turn over.

Would you consider using git subtree?

The dependencies can live in a vendor subdir but are part of the repo,
which means that they don't have to be pulled in with a separate
checkout step (as is the case with git submodule).

It is even possible to 'splice out' changes to the dependencies
(e.g. bugfixes) and push them to their respective git repos.

The downside is that dependencies which are not maintained in git repos
would need a git mirror.

I performed the corresponding commands for

- inferior-shell
- cl-ppcre
- lisp-invocation

which you can find in the lib/ dir in

https://github.com/darabi/asdf/commits/minimakefile

I use git subtree quite often and find it is a good way of keeping
dependencies in one repo, if it is necessary.

Cheers

Kambiz