[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 15:29:01 UTC 2014

Stelian Ionescu wrote:
>> > I think you will find that the configuration of the source search path
>> > is *very* complex, indeed too complex for a beginner.
>
> If it's complex, simplify it. You'd piling more stuff on top of the
> current behaviour.

No, that is not the case.

I would be *simplifying* "~/.local/share/common-lisp/source" to
"~/asdf-local-projects/" and, perhaps most importantly, simplifying "ls
-a ~/.local/share/common-lisp/source" to "ls ~/asdf-local-projects/"

That's all I'm planning to do.

[Actually, to be fair, we would be complexifying a little, because we
would permit the users to continue to use
~/.local/share/common-lisp/source, in the unlikely event they are
already doing so.]

I take the point that using quicklisp might be the easiest thing to do,
but quicklisp is not my responsibility.  My job is to make ASDF usable.

I'm afraid I still don't understand why this makes you object so
strongly.  How does this concretely make your life, or someone else's
life more difficult?

I *do* get the objection that Pascal had, and I absolutely agree that we
should not choose a directory name that will collide with existing
users' directories.