[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Sat Mar 29 19:12:08 UTC 2014

On 29 Mar 2014, at 20:07, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-03-29 at 19:59 +0100, Pascal Costanza wrote:
> [...]
>>>>
>>> If you make :force t the default, you lose incrementality, and fast
>>> startup time for end-user scripts. If you say "things are unsafe by
>>> default", you lose modularity and you make it impossible to distribute
>>> scripts to end users. Either way, if you don't have a deterministic
>>> build *by default*, easy deployment of scripts to end-users is not
>>> possible anymore.
>>
>> I understand your desire for deterministic builds. I don’t understand your desire for deterministic builds being the default.
>
> Utterances like this is what makes "academic" an insult in certain
> circles.

You’re quoting me out of context. If deterministic by default had no cost associated with it, it would clearly be the desirable choice. But it has a cost associated with it, so this is less clear. If I failed to convince you that this is the case, and that other people may have other preferences, then I apologize.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza
The views expressed in this email are my own, and not those of my employer.