[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:06:42 UTC 2014

Dear Anton, dear Robert,

can you run tests with the fare-3.1 branch of asdf?

I prepared this branch fare-3.1 with the changes I'd like to see in
3.1 *plus* some attempt at a minimal syntax control feature, as
described in one previous email:

It notably has
  (defvar *shared-readtable* (copy-readtable nil)
    "This shared readtable allows legacy applications to keep
modifying a global shared readtable
  while maintaining some hygiene for those who want to use their own readtable.
  It is subject to the following restrictions, which always existed
but were previously implicit:
  A- no modifying any standard character,
  B- no two dependencies assigning different meaning to the same
non-standard character.
    Using any non-standard character while expecting the
implementation to treat some way
    counts as such an assignment of meaning.
  C- libraries need to document these assignments of meaning to
non-standard characters.
  D- free software libraries will register these changes on:
        http://www.cliki.net/Macro%20Characters
")
  (defvar *shared-pprint-dispatch* (copy-pprint-dispatch nil)
    "*print-pprint-dispatch* table shared by all ASDF systems.
It should match the extensions of *shared-readtable* -- see the latter
variable's documentation.")

And it binds the *readtable* to that around ASDF compilations.

I don't make attempts to track modifications to the *readtable*
binding itself, using the more complex strategy described in a
previous email.

The branch is probably misnamed.

NB: while merging everything together and doing preliminary tests, I
found bugs or backward incompatibilities in my previous branches —
Robert, don't just merge them in, but if you agree to the
functionality currently in the build-op and rename-bundle-op branches,
tell me and I'll do the merging including fixes.

The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday, but never jam today.
                — Lewis Carroll