[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 01:45:41 UTC 2014

Dear Anton,

can you (1) run cl-test-grid on all implementations with 3.1.0.94, our
release candidate?

can you run the cl-test-grid on at least SBCL with the latest ASDF and
the attached patch?

In writing my article "ASDF3, or Why Lisp is Now an Acceptable
Scripting Language", one of the limitations I list is the mess of
uncontrollable syntax.

This would fix it... but might break dirty files that side-effect the
current syntax
without first creating and using a new readtable. Breaking these files
is actually desired, but we need to check how large is the issue
before we do it (if we do).

I figure that, like any other potentially disruptive change, it is
best done just before a release that defines a new features, in this
case, #+asdf3.1

Of course, I won't commit any such thing to master without maintainer approval.

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.
        — Ernst Haeckel