[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Thu Mar 13 03:10:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> ~/asdf-local-paths/
>
> would work for me.
>
> Squawks sooner rather than later, please.

If we are decided on adding a default path, please make it consistent with
the other XDG stuff in ASDF...

I'm not XDG guru, but here's a link to the standard...

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

It looks like default paths would belong under $XDG_DATA_HOME and
$XDG_DATA_DIRS.

Looking at the current ASDF manual, it appears that there is already some
support for this concept?

http://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/asdf.html#Controlling-where-ASDF-searches-for-systems

""
The source registry will be configured from a default configuration. This
configuration may allow for implementation-specific systems to be found,
for systems to be found the current directory (at the time that the
configuration is initialized) as well as :directory entries for
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/common-lisp/systems/ and :tree entries for
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/common-lisp/source/. For instance, SBCL will include
directories for its contribs when it can find them; it will look for them
where SBCL was installed, or at the location specified by the SBCL_HOME
environment variable
""

Later,
Daniel