[asdf-devel] (asdf:build 'foo)

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 18:52:17 UTC 2014

Faré wrote:
> While we are bikeshedding, I feel that asdf:load-system is (1) still
> too long a name, and (2) not generic enough, in case I want to use
> ASDF for stuff that isn't loading code into the current image.
> Therefore I propose there be
>
> (asdf:build 'foo)
>
> as the shorthand for the new (as of ASDF3) operation build-op:
>
> (defun build (system)
>   (operate 'build-op system))
>
> Shorter to type, more generic, and if we commit that before 3.1.1,
> available under the #+asdf3.1 feature.
>
> —♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics• http://fare.tunes.org
> Your conscience never stops you from doing anything.  It just stops you
> from enjoying it.

I'm OK with doing this, but

(1) BUILD-OP needs a docstring explaining its semantics.  I thought it
was just a wrapper around whatever the system definer chooses as the
default action.

and

(2) It needs to appear in the manual.

I'm willing to support these -- even take responsibility for (2) -- if
you will do (1).

cheers,