[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:04:16 UTC 2014

Yay for the bikeshedding.

1- I think we should proceed and add a default path anyway.
  ~/cl/ and/or ~/common-lisp/ sound fine to me, and I've seen no one
complain about that.
  You could make it ~/local/common-lisp/ if you're into larger paths.

2- Yes, we can add a programmatic way to manually register a .asd file:
  put in front of *system-definition-search-functions* a new
  sysdef-system-registry-search (please bikeshed a better name than that)
  that takes entries from a hash-table, with associated API
  (register-system name pathname-or-system)
  and (unregister-system name)
  Note that registering a system object rather than a pathname is
dangerous in case of latter ASDF upgrade
  that would somehow invalidate the system class definition.

> I'd like to use this interface *instead* of thinking about which config
> file to extend, and extend a cross-platform data file instead.

There used to be a "preference file" mechanism.
We could reintroduce a ~/config/common-lisp/asdf-init.lisp and/or
~/.asdf-init.lisp,
to be loaded when ASDF is loaded and reloaded, or lazily at the first
operation like
initialize-source-registry, which gives users the opportunity to
disable it and to reenable it,
which is essential when preparing a "clean" image.

No man would listen to you talk if he didn't know it was his turn next.
                — Edgar Watson Howe