[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Mar 12 18:44:13 UTC 2014

Faré wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> 1- I think we should proceed and add a default path anyway.
>>>   ~/cl/ and/or ~/common-lisp/ sound fine to me, and I've seen no one
>>> complain about that.
>>>   You could make it ~/local/common-lisp/ if you're into larger paths.

I think I will put "asdf" into the pathname, per our earlier discussion,
so that we don't step on pre-existing paths.

~/asdf-local-paths/

would work for me.

Squawks sooner rather than later, please.

>> How about providing the following as part of this:
>>
>> 1. the option of a control file within that default path, to be able to
>> specify subdirectories to be ignored. So anyone who already happens to have
>> a ~/cl/ with a bunch of inactive subfolders with .asd files can make
>> ~/cl/subdirs-to-exclude.asdc whose contents could be e.g.
>>
>>   ("inactive-proj-1" "inactive-proj-2")
>>
> The source-registry :tree thing already provides for recursive exclusions.
>
> I was thinking: since the :tree searcher already does a painful
> recursive directory listing,
> maybe it could recognize files named source-registry.conf or some
> such, that explain
> how things are laid out in this directory using :here.
> Although, this makes the configuration language and search procedure
> mutually recursive, which is dangerous.

I'm reluctant to add this, versus trying to avoid name collisions, as an
extra complexity that will have to be explained in the manual.

Plus it will piss Pascal off! ;-)

Adding that complexity would also mean that we must further delay 3.1.1
release, and it's already pretty darn late.

I'm thinking that this will become 3.2, actually.  There are
sufficiently many improvements....

Cheers,