[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 18:09:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Fare, if femlisp configures *read-default-float-format*
> why does it fail with your ASDF change? Do you restore standard
> CL syntax around every file compilation?
Yes I do, although I just committed a change to override
*read-default-float-format* to 'double-float, which I believe is more
useful.

> Maybe isolating syntax changes at system boundary is more
> convenient?
It's also harder and more subtle to explain, especially since there's
no way to unify changes that happen at each of the system's
dependencies: if A depends on B and C, and B sets a variable to
something, C the same variable to something else, which binding should
prevail? Especially since the actual load order is dictated by the
top-level system, not by A itself. The two sane things would then be
for the system to be initialized (a) to a constant value, or (b) to
the value at the exit of its last declared dependency, which might not
at all be the last actually loaded dependency, since that depends on
the top-level system. I'd say that (b) is way too clever, and that (a)
might as well be around individual files.

If freedom makes you think of antisocial behavior, harming other people
and not helping anyone — maybe the problem is with you, not freedom.