[asdf-devel] Alternate default lisp system location

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Wed Mar 12 14:44:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 09:23 -0500, Robert Goldman wrote:
> Zach Beane wrote:
> > The complexity of the registry configuration is one reason why I added
> > the ~/quicklisp/local-projects/ mechanism.
>
> Right, so I don't see why there's such a huge objection to having a
> similar mechanism for ASDF.  Stellian suggests using
> ~/quicklisp/local-projects/.  So why is it wrong for ASDF to have a
> local-projects directory?

For example because quicklisp was designed with the idea of allowing
multiple istances. One can have a QL installation per project, which
means that for each work environment, only the local-projects/ in that
environment will be searched. OTOH, you propose a global directory that
will conflict with existing configurations.

> All I am suggesting is to have the local projects directory for ASDF be
> visible, instead of invisible.
>
> I stand corrected about using a name that the user might have already
> had (thanks, Pascal!) but I don't yet see a solution that's as easy as a
> default directory location.

It's very easy not to have a default directory at all.

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix