[Asdf-devel] (asdf:output-file 'asdf:monolithic-fasl-op ...) no longer working

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 20:23:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how much this matters because it's mostly a backward
> compatibility issue with something which is a relatively new feature anyway,
> but
>
>  (asdf:output-file[s] 'asdf:monolithic-fasl-op ...)
>
> no longer works in 3.1.3 (at least on CCL/Linux). The new nomenclature is
> apparently:
>
>   (asdf:output-file[s] 'asdf:monolithic-compile-bundle-op ...)
>
> is 'asdf:monolithic-compile-bundle-op indeed the exact replacement for
> 'asdf:monolithic-fasl-op?

Yes it is.

That's my bad. In 3.1, we deprecated the old names in favor of the new,
but I didn't realize people were relying on the output-files method.
It would be trivial to provide dummy "forwarding" output-files methods
for the *fasl-op operations to just return the output-files of the underlying
new-name operation.

Patch accepted (I suppose).

> FWIW, (asdf:operate 'asdf:monolithic-fasl-op  ...)  still appears to work.
>
> I apologize for not running tests on my own stuff before the release of
> 3.1.3; I'll try to make a point of doing that for future releases.

My apologies for breaking it. Complete backward compatibility is hard.

Gun: weapon of individual vs individual. Bomb: weapon of group vs group.
That's why collectivists hate guns and love bombs.