[Asdf-devel] minimakefile branch

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Jul 29 19:14:03 UTC 2014

Kambiz Darabi wrote:
> Hi Faré,
>
> do you think it is now obsolete to create a test git repo which contains
> the dependencies as git subtrees?
>
> There is probably a small value in having a repo with versions of the
> dependencies which are known to work. But I'm not sure about the
> trade-off of having an additional repo.
>
> Sorry that I didn't get around creating that repo earlier but I will
> have some time during the next week and could do so, if deemed
> necessary.

Dear Kambiz,

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.

No, I do not think it would be unreasonable to have a git repository
with submodules for the minimakefile dependencies.

I don't regularly use quicklisp, and I have stubbed my toes several
times trying to get the current (pre minimakefile) build infrastructure
to work -- or to keep working, as one or the other support libraries
changes and requires new versions of dependencies, etc.

I would not like ASDF development to rely on the Quicklisp distribution
staying in sync. We can't rely on Xach to provide support for these
tools -- it's not part of the Quicklisp charter. The QL charter is only
to make a good-faith attempt to provide a consistent set of lisp libraries.

I'm afraid I haven't really kept abreast of progress on git submodules,
so I don't know the current state of the art.

Anything you could do in this direction would be very welcome.

Best,