[asdf-devel] Re: cl-quakeinfo and asdf3

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Tue Jan 28 20:38:50 UTC 2014

"Robert P. Goldman" <rpgoldman at sift.info> writes:

> Faré wrote:
>> Dear Kevin,
>>
>> as I'm handing out my ASDF duties to my successor Robert Goldman,
>> I gave this a brief look again, and it looks like the issue is
>> (1) your doing everything in cl-user, and
>> (2) your assuming cl-user has allegro extensions such as if*
>> This confuses SBCL, that warns about the suspicious undefined function if*,
>> and other such things.
>>
>> Some dependencies #-allegro :acl-compat and package use
>> #+allegro :excl #-allegro acl-compat.excl could help.
>
> I'm actually not sure what the assumptions are for QL.  Does it assume
> that all libraries should be portable?  Can contributors proclaim their
> systems to be non-portable, and does that affect QL function (and if so,
> how)?

The current situation is that the project must build on SBCL, and I
don't want to add SBCL-only projects.

I'd like to expand on this in the future to add useful libraries meant
for other subsets of CL implementations, but that's not in place yet.

> Does QL have a package chooser like, e.g., the emacs package manager,
> that people use to interactively choose libraries?  I didn't see one
> in a cursory look at quicklisp.org, and I've always just used QL to
> install libraries that I knew about from out-of-band.

There's no package chooser. You pretty much have to know what you want
through some other means before installing it via Quicklisp. I'd like to
change that sometime soon, too

Zach